Adding water to the rice in cooking pot:
1. Put the index (2nd) finger at the top of the rice surface,
2. Keep adding water slowly until the water level reaches the first segment (crease) of the index finger.
This is a ‘rough’ estimation, it still depends on the type of rice:
– short-grain requires 1 cup of water to 1 cup rice
(1 water :1 rice);
– long-grain rice needs more water (add 1/4 to 1/2 cup more water per cup of rice) than short grain
(1 1/4 water :1 rice):
– Whole-grain (brown rice) needs 2 1/2 to 3 cups water per cup of rice and about 60% – 70% longer cooking time than white rice.
(3 water : 1 rice);