Working Overtime is common for professionals like medical doctors & nurses, security guards, military, traders and stock brokers, IT staff and engineers:
1. Group all night-shift duty in a week is better than spreading over the month (ie performing once a week). The former arrangement has 50% less fatigue than the later.
2. Prepare transition on the 1st day of night shift:
2 pm – 4 pm: sleep 80 to 100 mins.
2 am – 4 am: take a nap 15 mins (or every 2 hours if permit).
3. After a week of night shift, rest 2 days on Sat & Sunday, to resume day shift on the following Monday.
4. On night-shift day/week, shift normal lunch time to mid-night.
5. Above 60 years old, sleep time required by your body reduced to around 6 hours, with some short naps of 15 mins in day time. Best suitable jobs at this age are security men, night-time car park attendants, …
6. Leonardo da Vinci ‘Multi-phases Sleeping’ Method: he slept 15 mins every 4 hours.
In disaster rescue or escalation job working non-stop round the clock for days (limit to 2 weeks for health reason), it is more practical to sleep 30 mins every 4 hours..
7. On night-shift day, avoid sleep during 5 pm – 9 pm when your body temperature is high and less sleepy.
8. L-Tryptophan Food (Milk, banana, chicken, nuts, salmon…) good for sleeping. Avoid Alcohol, coffee, cigarette.