Press “Enlarge” button (at right bottom) to view bigger screen.
This is YangZhou Fried Rice “扬州炒饭” (Actually HK-invented) ：(scambled) eggs go in first before overnight cooked rice & ingredients (optional: char siew, shrimp / crab meat / chinese sausage 腊肠, green peas, carrots – all cut into same length as the rice grains).
The other type of fried rice is Singapore traditional style “金包银” “Gold wraps Silver” which is in reversed order: raw eggs pre-mixed thoroughly with cold rice, then fry together.
- Add sufficient oil (1.5 ~2 tablespoons). Don’t worry, the eggs will absorb the oil.
- Medium fire. Keep stirring (or tossing in the air).
- Secret “Umami” (鲜味) flavor : Drizzle some fish sauce 鱼露 around (锅周边) the fried rice, then few quick stirs before serving.
Mistakes to avoid:
- Don’t add water, else rice too soggy.
- Don’t break the rice grains, just gently loosen them from sticking together.
When is it DONE? when seeing steaming vapor from rice & smelling fragrant egged rice 蛋香.