生蚝 vs 牡蛎 (蚵)，both called Oysters.
1. Coating duck legs with coarsed salt and spices (peppers, any herbs eg. Thymes, Rosemary, Bay leaf, Basil, or mixture of these in flakes). Cooling in fridge (30 mins).
2. Olive oil : cover completely duck legs, 3 hours (low heat at 125 C ) in oven
3. Sear in a pan (or oven 190 C for 10 mins) the duck skin till golden brown.
4. Sauce: wine, chicken stocks, butter, shallots, heat till reduced to half or thicken.
5. Salad: Broccoli or Harricots (French tiny beans) – immerse completely in boiling water (for salad crispyness, add 1 tsp salt to raise the boiling point above 100 C – by the law of Physical Chemistry), cook for 2.5 mins, then immerse immediately in cold (preferred iced-) water for 10 mins (to retain the fresh green color).
Easy to make this delicious “haute cuisine” (高级美食) duck confit (油封鸭), except too wasteful of olive oil (1litre) after cooking, unless reuse within a week (store in fridge).
At Sheng Siong Supermart, a raw duck leg is sold at S$4.50. If cook it within 3 days (package expiry period) then store it in normal fridge; otherwise put in the freezer, can last for 1 week or longer.
A dish of Duck Confit in a Singapore restaurant costs from $16++ to $25++.
You can choose green radish as well.
1. Grate white radish into shreds.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the pot. Sauté dried shrimp, and chopped ginger. Then add in white radish shreds. Stir fry for a little while.
3. Pour in 2 cups hot water. Bring to boil.
4. Prepare 1/2 cups flour. Add in water while stir to make small lumps.
5. Add flour lumps into the soup. Stir to avoid sticking to the pot. Simmer for 2-3 mins.
6. Pour in 1 or 2 beaten eggs. Stir a bit.
7. Season with salt and sprinkle chopped spring onion.
Serve with 2 drops of sesame oil.
After Robotic cleaner, 4 MIT students invented Robotic Chef !
In another few years, every home kitchen can have a “Robotic Chef” machine with the features of oven / microwave / frying pan, taking raw food ingredients from a connected fridge. The set menus can be programmed. The machine will be remotely controlled from outside by a housewife.
MIT is the birth-place of “Artificial Intelligience” (AI) which was coined by the late Prof John McCarthy, who designed the 1st Functional Programming (FP) language”LISP” (*) for AI in 1958.
Note (*): LISP (List Processing Language). In 1980 I was an AI LISP programmer using a variant called “FranzLISP” running on the world’s first 1-MIP mini-Computer “Vax 780 machine” (by Digital Equipment Corp), the compiler designer was James Gosling who later joined Sun Microsystem in 1990s to design the now most popular JAVA language, porting over the good LISP feature of (Memory) “Garbage Collector” technology.